Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: port 768

From: gyst () NFG NL (Guido A.J. Stevens)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:58:17 +0100

"Robert Graham" <bugtraq () networkice com> writes:

Therefor, I'm guessing that the 768 is a rpc.mountd port common to the
particular distro the hacker has an exploit for. I'm not sure how you
identified the initial rpc.mountd (635 was common in RedHat 5.0 for mountd,
or it may have been from an rpcbind getport on port 111).

That explains, thank you. After I noticed lots of probes on port 111,
I put an email alert on rpc.mountd rejects in hosts.deny. I got
alerted all right, and it coincided with this port 768 scan. I was
already wondering why the rpc probe (which I assumed to be targeted at
111) wasn't reject-logged by the firewall, whereas the 768 probe
was. As it turns out to be, they're the same: an rpc probe on port
768.

Obviously /etc/services is not the comprehensive port/service mapping
I thought it to be. Is there another way to quickly create a
comprehensive listing of which services are listening on which ports?

:*CU#

--
***    Guido A.J. Stevens      ***    mailto:gyst () nfg nl    ***
***    Net Facilities Group    ***    tel:+31.43.3618933    ***

It is not true that the government has not moved to regulate the
internet. The last few years has seen an extraordinary expansion
of intellectual property rights [...] that is producing an
extraordinary power to own and hence control ideas.
[Lessig, http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/lessigkeynote.pdf ]