Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Socks port 1080

From: rmclean () NATDOOR COM (Randy Mclean)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:04:19 -0600

Well from what I've seen, people will scan entire ranges of Ip's only
looking socks and proxy ports(1080 and 8080). There are alot of people who
do this for many reasons, but bigest reason is for spam. Many spamers will
find as many socks proxies as they can use your computer as a relay to your
isp mail/news server. If have a socks port open, SECURE IT. In my
experience a Firewall works great if properly configured also some socks
proxy software will have setting for allowing ip's only a few
hosts(generally a good idea to use RFC 1918 address) . I hope this helps!