Security Incidents mailing list archives

Large quantity of traffic from amazon.com - source_port 3000

From: peter.bates () LSHTM AC UK (Peter Bates)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:03:47 +0000

Hello all...

This probably isn't the best place
for me to ask this, but it rattled me a bit
because I hadn't seen it until now...

A user here was innocently browsing amazon.com,
when our firewall log here just starts filling up with
traffic to his machine, from about 5 different IP addresses
in a network owned by amazon.com (208.192.209.102)
TCP traffic, ports all above 17xx, with source port of 3000.

What stuck out is because the traffic was denied by the firewall,
the hosts and traffic just kept on coming and coming...

Obviously this is presumably innocent, but
does anyone out there know what this was actually generated by,
what it was targeted at, and so on?

Thanks...

Peter Bates, Systems Support Officer,
Network Support Team
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
Telephone:0171-927 2124 / Fax:0171-467 9504 / Pager: 07625 255362