Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: strange icmp traffic

From: globi () GRAFF COM PL (Dariusz Zmokly)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:29:51 +0100

hi !

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Jacob Langseth wrote:

Thank you very much for answering.

203.227.180.210 -> 3.150.160.18 (IPv2) was 'echo reply'

Is this verbatim?  IPv2 *can't* be right...

It is output of tool called imon. It was mentioned on letter from
securityfocus.

As to how you saw these within your network, there are
two possibilities:  1) the packets were source routed
through your network (have you taken any detailed packet
captures?) or 2) the origin of the packets are w/in your

No i haven't done it.

network, and someone is spoofing the source address.
Incidentally, this is the type of behaviour one might
expect if a tfn2k client was operating on your network.

tfn2k ? Do you mean some distributed DOS software ?

Please capture one of these packets and examine it;

Good advice I am going to do it.

does it 1) show (loose|strict) source route options
and 2) what does the data payload look like?  If it
appears to be uuencoded, it could very well be tfn2k.

A couple of utilities which might aid you:
    tcpdump -> for raw packet caputure
    ethereal -> gui to examine ip options set (reads tcpdump output)
    pingsting -> utility for identifying most known ping traffic

I started tcpdump and will look tomorrow if it will collect any suspicious
icmp packets.

A note about pingsting:  by default it initializes
libpcap to only catch echo requests, while in your
case you want to ident echo replies.  Change the
line which looks like

Well I dont know pingsting and don't have time today to play with it today.
Mayby tomorrow.

badly formed ICMP packet (type=97, code=27)
119.139.218.126 -> 22.178.128.16 (IPv13) was ''

Potentially the targa3() implemenetation in tfn2k?  It
initializes the packet to various random data, chooses
to make it tcp, udp or icmp, fills in enough protocol
information to transmit and then lets it rip.  The values
shown above look pretty bizarre to me, anyway.

Well I see also frequent pings from our competitor. Mayby that's them ?

NIPC has released a binary only tfn/trinoo/tfn2k/etc
detection utility, if you trust running arbitrary
code without the ability to inspect the source:
    htpp://www.fbi.gov/nipc/trinoo.htm
If tfn2k is the source, this might aid in its detection.

I read the same advisory and tried to get this utility but had problems with
accessing this site. I will try later.

Hope this helps,

Yeah. It always helps to speak with someone and got some inspiring comments :)

have a good day !
Dariusz Zmokly