Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Compromised...

From: j5 () NEUTRAL ORG (Japheth)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 20:09:40 -0500

What a strange coincidence. One of my friends/colleagues who has a Linux
box called me this morning thinking that she was compromised. After some
snooping I came across the same thing - the ADMROCKS in /var/named, etc.
Aside from what you mentioned there were two users added to the system
"web1" and "web3". web3 was UID 10 (same as the uucp user on her box) and
web1 was UID 0.

I was JUST firing up the email client to compose a pretty much identical
message.

I talked to a couple people this afternoon and they conceded that it was
in fact intrusion via named and that many services and programs would need
to be re-installed to clean up the mess.

So this ADMROCKS must be a mainstream method/kit, but I was unable to find
anything online via normal means.

Please let me know if you come up with anything. Thank you in advance!

Japheth Benfield
j5 () neutral org
http://j5.neutral.org