Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Ping flood? Whats the point?

From: r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ (Russell Fulton)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:16:20 +1300

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:00:33 CST Andy David <genex69 () HOTMAIL COM> wrote:

I have also experienced this sort of attack.  I figured it to be a modified
version of stream.c.  The only way I was able to make anysense of the flood
was that my firewall saved some packets....well alot in this case.  The ip's
of course were spoofed, but the only way I was really able to tell was after
decoding some of the packets my firewall captured (from different ip's) I
found that the senders MAC address was identical throughout the entire
attack.

The source MAC address your FW sees will be the MAC address of the
adjacent network node (probably your ISP's router) not the MAC address
of the machine that originally sent the packets.  So the fact that they
are all the same isn't significant.

Cheers, Russell.