Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange traceroute

From: gt40 () HOME COM (RB)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:37:59 -0600

Hi everyone, thanks a bunch for the answers. I should have given more info
though, I was very vague and now I've made myself look incredibly
stupid..... Anyway I have a valid (public) IP address. My next hop is my
default gateway also another valid public address. Instead of my usual path
out of the @home network I saw a private IP pop up and it made me wonder. I
was trying to find the break in my connection to my news server which is
supplied by another ISP (@home's are woefully lacking). I was able to ping
my default gateway and do a traceroute to it (note I have a static IP),
doing it that way it is the first hop. But doing a traceroute to any other
public address shows the 10.76.x.x address as the first hop. I posted it to
this security list because it seemed strange that a private IP address would
be displayed. I'm not thinking that I was comprimised or under attack, just
a little curious.

RB