Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: MASSIVE ssh attack attempt

From: core.lists.incidents () CORE-SDI COM (Iván Arce)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 21:45:23 -0300

"Jeffrey D. Carter" wrote:

Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV () lists securityfocus com>  writes:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------<
| Date:    Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:15:03 -0800
| From:    Robert Graham <Robert.Graham () NETWORKICE COM>
| Subject: Re: MASSIVE ssh attack attempt
|
| PCanywhere uses UDP/22 rather than TCP/22.
|
| http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html#port22
|
| My guess this is just a massive sacan for the recent RSAREF bug.
|
| Rob.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------<

Since the targets appear to all be the same machine, it doesn't seem likely
that this would be looking for the RSAREF problem. After all, if the
first connect doesn't compromise the host, 2 through N won't either.

Thats not quite correct.
The publicly available ssh/RSAREF exploit client has an command line
option to use an user provided range of addresses to sweep to
find the right offset.
-ivan

--
"Understanding. A cerebral secretion that enables one having it to know
 a house from a horse by the roof on the house,

==================[ CORE Seguridad de la Informacion S.A. ]=========
Iván Arce
Presidente
PGP Fingerprint: C7A8 ED85 8D7B 9ADC 6836  B25D 207B E78E 2AD1 F65A
email: iarce () core-sdi com
http://www.core-sdi.com
Pte. Juan D. Peron 315 Piso 4 UF 17
1038 Capital Federal
Buenos Aires, Argentina.              Tel/Fax : +(54-11) 4331-5402
Casilla de Correos 877 (1000) Correo Central

--- For a personal reply use iarce () core-sdi com