Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: [Win 95 Question]

From: jbratton () USA NET (Jason Bratton)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:58:34 CST

Speaking from previous experience on the IRC, whenever you have machines
attempting to connect to IRC servers on their own, it is generally a trojan.
There are quite a few that have come around recently that will logon to an IRC
server to let everyone know that a machine is infected and ready for abuse.  A
more popular one recently has been SubSeven (
http://www.commodon.com/threat/threat-sub7.htm ), however there are so many (
http://www.commodon.com/threat/threat-all.htm ), it could be anything.  I
would definitly recommend a good scan of the registry, system.ini, and win.ini
for any abnormalities.

There are plenty of anti-virus scanners out there for windows, but since I
don't run windows on my home pc, I can't honestly say which are good and which
aren't.  One such scanner that I happened to find with a random search was
SecureTroy ( http://www.securetroy.com/ ), which claims to find a lot of the
major ones.  Hope this helps.

Eric Miawald <emaiwald () FRED NET> wrote:
Got a question from a friend that sounded familiar but I could not
quite place it.

He has a few win 95 boxes that try to connect to some IRC chat rooms
when they boot.  He can't seem to find the process that is doing this.
I thought it sounded something like Ring Zero but not quite.  Anyone
else seen this?

Eric

Eric Maiwald                                        emaiwald () fred net
So Many Hobbies, So little time