Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Win 95 Question- Sounds like a butplug for orifice

From: dpavone () APCC COM (Dave Pavone)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:26:22 -0500

The machine may be infected with back orifice. There is a butplug (plug in)
for back orifice which connects the infected machine to IRC and posts it's
IP address into the channel. This way crackers can sit in the channel and
wait for compromised computers to announce themselves by posting their IP
address. There are probably other Trojans that do this as well. I would
remove those machines from the network and reinstall the OS, it sounds like
a Trojan has found it's way on to them.

Good Luck,
Dave Pavone

Please respond to Eric Miawald <emaiwald () FRED NET>