Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Compromised...

From: friedl () MTNDEW COM (Stephen Friedl)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:02:06 -0800

Maybe he'd set the immutable bit on the files you couldn't change? Not sure
if that functionality was available in RH5.2.

Yes, that was it. I'd never heard of these bits (sheepishly) so figured that
the guy must have hacked the kernel. No matter, I bought a new drive and
installed the latest RHL onto it and put named into a chroot jail, so this
shouldn't happen again. Glad it was me and not my customers...

Thanks for the help.
Steve

---
Stephen J Friedl|Software Consultant|Tustin, CA|  +1 714 544-6561
3B2-kind-of-guy |I speak for me only|  KA8CMY  |steve () unixwiz net