Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: R: Re: Korea (was RE: ?)

From: thomas () 88 NET (thomas lakofski)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 00:23:22 +0000

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Jordan Ritter wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Raistlin wrote:

# > You have no right to 'investigate', if by that you mean using
# > any unauthorized access to a machine that is not legally yours to
# > administrate.
#
# If a machine offers a service I have all rights to use it. This is the
# basical rule of networking.

I'm sure the CEO who dials up to the internet on his Windows 98 box,
sharing his entire harddrive (including his quarterly and annual financial
reports), ignorant of the possible transgressions, would disagree.

Is it his fault?  Yes.  Does that make it okay?  No.

Sure.  I'll leave my apartment door open in new york city, and put a sign
in the window indicating this fact.  Yes, it's still illegal to take my
stuff.  Will the police or insurance company sympathise?  I doubt it.

         who's watching your watchmen?
EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98