Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Korea (was RE: ?)

From: do.geun.jo () KR ARTHURANDERSEN COM (Douglas Cho)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 21:00:22 +0900

I've just talked to a CERT-KR team member who is in-charge of the incident
below.
He already analyzed the attack and issued guidelines to the administrators in
'hanyang.ac.kr' domain.
The analysis and guidelines were sent on January 29, 2000 (local time).

The incident was originally reported to CERT-KR by the owner of the box,
himself.
The host was taken down from network.  Security maintenance is being done.

I heard that log analysis showed several intrusion activities from the states,
Malaysia and Netherlands.
Some of them are thought to be 'friendly scanning' from those administrators who
had tried to help(?) or prevent any further attacks from the host to other
destinations.

I know that people are talking about whether they can do such friendly probe or
not.
I would firmly say that you shouldn't.  Keep the scene as it is.
That's why crime scene is cordoned off.   Your scanning will just add
unnecessary fingerprints.

If you have incidents, report it to your local CERT or 'cert () certcc or kr'.
You can get a public key from http://www.certcc.or.kr/.
I think they are doing their best to cope with security incidents.
Please do not let them down with harsh words.

Regards,

DG Jo - Manager
CPA, CISA, MCSE, CCNA
Arthur Andersen, Computer Risk Management