Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Hybris worm

From: jkruser <jkruser () ADELPHIA NET>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:59:38 -0500

There have been a couple of recent posts about this virus to some of the
virus lists I watch. It appears Hybris may be on the rise. I posted a couple
of links to information on the Virus Security Focus list early this AM but
nothing has come through on that list all day. Maybe technical issues there.

Just FYI (I know this is pretty basic, but someone may not know) here are a
few precautions you can take in Outlook and OE to reduce the risk of
infection by some types of virus.

Outlook Settings:
select Tools -> Options
Select the 'Security' tab
Under 'Secure Content' set the zone to 'Restricted Sites'
Click the 'Zone Settings' button
Click the 'Custom Level' button
Under 'ActiveX Controls and Plugins' ensure that all are set to disable
Under 'Scripting' ensure all are set to disable
Click OK, OK and OK

Update your MS security patches and...of course...Don't open any unknown
attachments :)

Claymore
the unprofound