Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: scans on ports 3072 and 1024, why?

From: Jonas Luster <loki () SMURFTARGET NET>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 12:18:18 -0800

++ 29/12/00 09:53 -0800 - Aaron Schultz:

We are still interested in any other reports of activity regarding the
DALnet servers.

A quick glance over our combined firewall logs shows coincidences with
attacks towards IRCNet and EFNet Servers. Generally a ton of RSTs hits
us everytime X-Org attacks EFNet or IRCNet, quickly followed by DALNet
sending RSTs.

My humble guess would be that this is another (ab-)use of kickem.c which
iterates through a list of EF,DAL and IRCnet-Servers once started and
spoofs adresses taken from NETBLK-EC[1-91-9]-1, NETBLK-EC[1-91-9]-1-GC,
NETBLK-DSLNET-[.*]-[.*] and a few others.

kickem is - to the best of my knowledge - not fully distributed-enabled
and does not feature an automatic distribution-routine, though I've seen
it being distributed as a mod to th0rn.

jonas

--
Jonas M. Luster, JD -- Straylight Freelance Security Services, San Jose