Security Incidents mailing list archives

mandrake 7.0 printer exploit

From: John Smith <conan () UOLE COM>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 22:23:39 -0300

Hello, i was just wondering, there has been ALOT of talk about
this exploit (using the 515 port, used by lpd), and one of our computers
back at work have mandrake7, so i searched a little about in
securityfocus, but found nothing (anyway im bad websearching stuff)

can anyone give me some directions about it?
and if you have time, (and want to) can explain me whats the big deal
with it? (what it does, and how is exploited)
and how to prevent it? (closing the 515 port, its not ok, wee need it
for netwide printing)

(please dont start a flamewar if this question was done before, ive
recently switched from window to linux (debian), and deleted
everything (no need to say that i didnt read about it before)

John Smith (yes, i know my name sound funny, but its real one!)

you can contact me via email (but i dunno WHY would you want to ^_^)
at
conano @at@ turbosport .dot. com
(im pretty sure u know how to fix it so it works)