Security Incidents mailing list archives

DNS Scanning for blocking

From: Zeffie <zeffiechat () HOTMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:40:48 -0500

    I Host a site for the local strip club and lately I started getting
messages like this for several domains.

Dec 20 01:13:22 www named[2105]: unapproved AXFR from [157.167.1.21].4238
for "theirdomain.NET" (acl)
Dec 20 01:13:23 www named[2105]: unapproved AXFR from [157.167.1.21].4239
for "theirdomain.NET" (acl)

I checked into it and found that surfcontrol is responsable for this.  They
are doing it to confirm their "Block Lists" are correct.  So they can block
the domains from being accessed by employees/customers of bussiness that
they sell their product to.

So am I crazy or did they scan my network with the intent of blocking
traffic and thereby causing me direct finanical losses?  Is what they are
doing legale?  Have they broken the law in several states?

Zeffie
(Michigan)