Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SMTP brute force attack?

From: Mike Lewinski <mike () ROCKYNET COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:26:25 -0700

I keep getting this in my logs. Is someone trying to find a valid
username so they can crack my box? Or maybe this is a spammer trying to
find a way to get my machine to relay their crap? Any advice is
definitely welcome.

I would say that this is an attempt to harvest addresses from your MTA for spam purposes. In particular, the first
string they send
(F10981N9776 () victimhost com) is a pattern I recognize. They are probing for a "nobody" (default accept) alias by
generating an
intentionally bogus address. If your MTA responds "250 OK" then the attack ceases because it's not possible to discern
what
addresses are invalid.

Attached is a report I filed this weekend, for comparison of source IP if you wish. Also note that there is an SMTP
abuse listserv
here:

Mike