Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: R: DNS unapproved AXFR

From: Ian Eure <ieure () SICKFUCK ORG>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:53:23 -0700

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Andrea Vettori wrote:

Hi all,

thank you for the aswers...

I've one more question:

How can these AXFR be caused by misconfigured name servers ?

if your slave servers are not listed in your acl on the master, or the ip
was mis-typed, you will see this error. when the zone serial changes, the
master will push an update to the slaves (bind 8+), or when the zone timer
expires, a slave will request an AXFR from the master. if the master was
not prolerly configured to allow these transfers, you will see the error.