Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Scans... (was Re: 3 Solaris reboot in 3 days)

From: Ben Laws <ben () ION AS UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:27:02 -0500

Pierre Vandevenne wrote:

What do you think ? What would you do if it was your network ?

Howdy Pierre --

In these hostile times, I do little more than make note of the
originating IP & type of probe when my network is scanned.  The IP goes
on a list which I check to expose repeat offenders.  Notification of
ISPs due to scanning activity is seemingly futile, and perhaps not
appropriate for a single scan.  The activity is currently legal, and
hopefully will remain so.  That doesn't mean it isn't rude :-)  Usually
I do investigate the originating IP address... if it looks like the
system may be compromised and belongs to a specific business, I'll give
them a heads up.  So far, I haven't had any hackers persistant enough to
warrant blocking IPs/netblocks at the router.  It's only a matter of
time however...

ciao,
Ben Laws
Systems Analyst