Security Incidents mailing list archives

Follow-up on the Botnet incident.

From: "PARKIN, MICHAEL M (PBI)" <mparkin () PBI NET>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:11:52 -0500

Several people have written me back, and I thank them.  The incident with
the bots continued over the course of the weekend, and we are still getting
a trickle of them even now.  No where near the connection rates were seeing
before, and the number of different hosts has dropped dramatically.

We gleaned some more information during the course of the incident.  One of
our admins was able to ascertain which channel the bots were going to, which
let us get a better handle on the traffic they were sending.  Notably, these
did not appear to be Sub7's (as I mentioned in my first post) and they were
all sending encrypted data to the channel.  We've got extensive logs of the
encrypted traffic and were able to make some headway on identifying the
crypto method they used.  We were able to determine that the bots would
respond to CTCP requests, and would echo an encrypted version of the CTCP
traffic to the channel.

If anyone is interested in playing some crypto games, I can give you what
we've logged.

Several hours after we identified the channel (quite some time after my
initial post) someone 'took over' one of the bots and talked to us in
channel.  He claimed this was an experiment by one of his friends to
determine how big a botnet they could make, and he said he'd relay our
request to remove the bots from our Net.  (Politeness counts!)  As the bot
traffic has dropped off, we're guessing he honored our request.

My lasting questions are these.  1: What Windows trojan/bot encrypts to
channel?  Every bot we looked at was a Windows box, and the CTCP Version
reply came back mIRC.  Though this is easy to fake.  2: What is the likely
infection vector for these things? (We found open shares in some cases, and
evidence of the network.vbs worm in one case, but ONLY one case of the 50 or
so we examined) Some from of email worm?  A mirc script virus?  Something
else?  3: How to defend against them?  Like any other DDoS, I'm sure defense
is difficult, but if these bots are anything like Sub7 (in fact, I realize
they may be a new variant of Sub7) it may be possible to disinfect the
hosts.

Comments?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Parkin