Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Large number of BIND probes.

From: core.lists.incidents () CORE-SDI COM (Iván Arce)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:23:25 -0300

Erik Fichtner wrote:

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 10:56:24AM -0600, Craig H. Rowland wrote:
Last night I received a very large number of probes to TCP port 53 on one
of my DNS servers. I filter out all TCP port 53 traffic to these systems
except for secondaries/primaries for zone transfers, but would like to
know if anyone has seen a pickup in this activity as well. There were six
separate hosts yesterday alone that tried. This is a new record for me.
Seems like there may be a new BIND attack going around. :(

I only got hit with one set of version.bind probes last night, and only on
the primary nameservers listed with the InterNIC, but they were rather
persistant at trying to figure out if it was a bind4 or a bind8 with
version.bind shut off..

This most likely means that someone out there is trying to find
BIND versions vulnerable to the NXT bug (8.2)

See http://www.securityfocus.com/vdb/bottom.html?vid=788
and http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-14-bind.html

-ivan

--
"Understanding. A cerebral secretion that enables one having it to know
 a house from a horse by the roof on the house,

==================[ CORE Seguridad de la Informacion S.A. ]=========
Iván Arce
Presidente
PGP Fingerprint: C7A8 ED85 8D7B 9ADC 6836  B25D 207B E78E 2AD1 F65A
email: iarce () core-sdi com
http://www.core-sdi.com
Pte. Juan D. Peron 315 Piso 4 UF 17
1038 Capital Federal
Buenos Aires, Argentina.              Tel/Fax : +(54-11) 4331-5402
Casilla de Correos 877 (1000) Correo Central

--- For a personal reply use iarce () core-sdi com