Honeypots mailing list archives

Client Honeyopt Patent

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:07:30 -0600

Folks,

I just found out the US Patent office has started an interesting online Wiki for submitting prior art for specific patents. It looks like this is a trial program. I also just found out they have Microsoft's patent application for client honeypots (called HoneyMonkey). If you have done any research in this field I highly recommend you go there and submit your prior work. Right now they have none listed which has me concerned. In addition, you have only 5 days left to submit a claim. I went through the application, they have 5 different claims. To prove prior art you have to select a specific claim and demonstrate prior art for that claim. The filing date is 01 March, 2006 so your prior art has to be before that. Its most effective to have prior art a year before the filing. Claim #1 appears to be the most broad and the one I suggest you consider submitting prior art one.

http://www.peertopatent.org/patent/20070208822/activity

Thanks!

lance

CLAIM #1
========
A system comprising: a browser that is capable of visiting network locations as represented by uniform resource locators (URLs); and a browser-based vulnerability exploit detector that directs the browser to visit a given URL by making an information request to the given URL; the browser-based vulnerability exploit detector adapted to detect if the given URL accomplishes an exploit on the system after the browser makes the information request to the given URL."