Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: [CFP] honeypots for newbie

From: weeznu <mr.weeznu () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 10:09:51 -0700 (PDT)

hello

anybody can help me too?

i want to create honeywall using roo honeypot CDROM, so the first step i
have to download and install it in my computer. i'm using ubuntu.
and the computer is connected to the network on my campus..

now i have a problem..
i've finished installing my roo honeypot CDROM in my computer..  and then I
login for the first time as the default user roo.
but after that i dont know what to do, and how to set it up, so it can
work..

does anyone here can help me, how to set up my roo honeypot so it can work??

best regard...

-weeznu-

dharmendra-3 wrote:

Hi Paavan,

It all depends on the need for what you want to install the Honeypot.
Like I do install honeypots for  "Getting to know how about the
hackers who will use the vulnerable machines, and what extra stpes I
need to take for securing them. In this case I have to install the
vulnerable system and the monitoring tools for getting the
information"

 I have also read somewhere that some security administrators do also
use the honeypots to drag the attackers (once it has been detected) to
the honeypot system.

I would suggest you first to get to know about the monitoring tools
like tcpdump, snort etc..

Regards,
Dharmendra T.