Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Need help with research topics

From: yahooguy subroto <subrot0 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 05:52:56 -0700 (PDT)

No reason to get nasty with graceandglory.  We live in
the age of instant gratification and instant response.

I think grace&glory was looking for pointers rather
than actual words.  Its true that not much research
has been done and it is true that it is 5 days before
the assignment is due, but hey we were all students
before.

That being the case, I would suggest that grace&glory
go on the Internet and check out the latest attempts
at breaking into computers, organizations and
companies.

-Are there trends?
-If so what are the successes and failures
-What are the countermeasures?

Clearly this would be the best approach to figuring
out what to write about.  Or failing that, my charges
are $1,000/day for helping you figure out perceptions
and trends.

--- rick () livingstoncadservice com wrote:

Try contributing to the list first before you ask
for assistance. If you cant do this on your own,
needless to say you waited 5 days before the
deadline, then you don't deserve a PhD.

  This is my first posting.

  This is my first posting.  I am a PhD student at
Nova and I needed some help finding new research
topics to write about in the areas of Computer
Forensics, Network Security, Information Security
etc.  I am new to this school and I haven't done
much research before.  My problem is that to me it
seems that everything has been done before.  I am
also afraid of choosing a topic that I will not be
able to write code for or build later (in two
months).
  Below is the assignment:
For those in DCIS 830, a reminder.  I need for you
to include in your proposal what you are planning to
do.  Exactly what you are planning to do.  Phrases
like "I plan to investigate...",
"I will review...", and "I would like to
research..." don't tell me much.  Alternatively,
phrases like "I will develop a prototype _____ and
use data from ____ to test the effectiveness of this
approach", or "I will conduct a case study of four
______ efforts and create a set of best practices
from the lessons learned" are much more specific.  I
don't need to know your
results (you won't have those until you've
finished the work) but I do need to understand the
research process that you will be following.
Dr. C

The objective of this exercise is to provide
students with the experience of
conducting research and writing an article on
information security for
submission to a peer reviewed journal. The project
involves the submission of
a preliminary report and the final paper.
(Note: Topics must be approved in advance by the
instructor)
Proposal (Due October 8, 2006)
The preliminary report should be in the form of a
research plan. You must state
the targeted journal for your manuscript. The
preliminary report should follow
the style required by the journal and address the
following issues:
1. Problem addressed
??Clearly state the research problem that you plan
to address.
2. Prior research
??Briefly discuss the body of literature that is
used to motivate the
research. Emphasize the shortcomings in the prior
literature that
you plan to address.
3. Significance
??Explain why you think your work makes a
significant contribution
to the field. Cite references wherever possible to
establish that
there is a consensus among researchers that the
problem
addressed in the article is indeed an important
one.
4. Methodology
??Discuss the methodology you plan to use for the
study. Justify the
appropriateness of the selected methodology. Be as
precise as
you can. Identify the knowledge representation
scheme and the
search strategy where appropriate.
Make sure that you cite all relevant articles that
are referenced in your paper.
Please submit a copy of the paper that you believe
is most significant in
motivating your work. If relevant, you may also
send copies of any other
supporting articles.
Final Report
This is the final manuscript that you plan to
submit to the targeted journal. You
should use the style and the format that is
appropriate for the journal, (note: the
use of the GSCIS Idea Paper format is not
acceptable). A suggested guideline
for the article is presented below. Note that this
is just a suggested outline and
that your article need not have the same
structure.
1. Introduction
??Provide the necessary background and discuss the
relevant
literature to motivate the research problem that
your article
addresses.
2. The Problem
??Discuss the problem in detail and formulate it a
manner that
makes it tractable.
3. The Method
??Describe the method used to address the problem.
Justify the
approach that you have adopted.