Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Few questions about sp800-31

From: <Glenn.Everhart () chase com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:48:27 -0500

Andrey -
The industry needs to use some other term than "honey pot" which suggests the
systems are possibly what is termed an "attractive nuisance", i.e., something
that attracts innocent passers-by to mess with it where they would not ordinarily
be inclined to do so. Calling them something more neutral like "fiducial test canary
boxes" or some such would not confuse legal folks.

The major problems that could arise would be if the fiducial test canary boxes
turned out to be jumping off points for further attacks. Someone might accuse their
operator of not using ordinary care to keep such boxes from becoming threats to
others, or so I imagine. The other issue could be that since the boxes are set up
to be invaded, the operator thereof can hardly claim damage from that invasion, and
some law enforcement folks might figure absent other invasions that they cannot make
much of a case.

Glenn Everhart