Honeypots mailing list archives

[Fwd: Re: changing mac addresses of clients in vmware]

From: David Watson <david () honeynet org uk>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:24:03 +0100

Original reply only went to the sender...

David
--
David Watson
UK Honeynet Project
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 21:49:00 +0100
jfrelin () arcticnetworks com wrote:
Anyone willing to share the process on patching this binary? i have tried in various matters, but have yet to get it
to successfully allow me to change to a different mac. I just want to be able to staticly assign in the 00:0c:29:9a
range that it uses for dynamic assignement.

thx

You might want to check out the VMWare obfuscation work previously
preformed by Kostya Kortchinsky of the French Honeynet Project:

http://honeynet.rstack.org/tools.php

This included details of how to patch the binary to change MAC addresses.

Also, if you don`t want to patch your binary and use VMWare workstation,
see:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_net_advanced_mac_address.html

Thanks,

David