Honeypots mailing list archives

Release of Sebek version 3 for Linux 2.6

From: Edward Balas <ebalas () iu edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:43:23 -0500

Greetings,

The Honeynet Project and Research Alliance are excited
to announce the availability of the initial beta version 3
Sebek client for Linux 2.6.x kernels. This new version is
compatible with the  new Roo Honeywall / Gen III Honeynet
architecture and  includes the ability to monitor user input,
identify network connections made by processes and record
relationships between  processes. Such abilities are integral
to the new data analysis capabilities within the Roo Honeywall's
Walleye  data analysis interface.

What is Sebek:

Sebek in a kernel based monitoring tool originally built to
circumvent session encryption and monitor user input. It
has been expanded to monitor other aspects of the system
which aid in honeynet data analysis. Think of it as a
honeypot's black-box.

Where do I get Sebek for the Linux 2.6 kernel?

~  1.  Project page for Sebek:

~  http://www.honeynet.org/tools/sebek/

~  2.  Download:

~  http://www.honeynet.org/tools/sebek/3/sebek-lin26-3.1.2b.tar.gz

Whats New?

- - This version of sebek has been a bit of a rewrite of
~  the 2.4 client code, mostly code reorganization and
~  revamping of the build process for 2.6.

- - One of the cool features is that you can build Sebek
~  for 2.6 without having to install the full kernel
~  source.

- - We have cut over to GPL licensing for this version.

What if I have an issue?

We have a bug server at https://bugs.honeynet.org

Enjoy!

Edward Balas