Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Managing Deception

From: ChayoteMu <chayotemu () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:31:50 -0700

I'm building a small "wish-list" network plan for myself to use as a
testbed and had a similar idea. The way I was thinking of doing this
would be to either have an inline machine between your honeynet and
the pipe to the Internet, lock that box down and make it transparent
to both sides. Then internally use that to block attack traffic going
from the honeynet by either diverting it back to a random honeynet
host or by simulating a response of some sort. What you could do is
either use this idea or just get an invisible server that can only
send data to the honeynet. This box searches and generates false
information, possibly from a shared source, and automates e-mails and
such and then sends the info into the honeynet where the various
machines pick up the info and daemons pick up the data and integrate
it. With a bit of planning there could be a semi-shared server out
that for such machines to connect to that could harvest and generate
such data or volunteers could create the information by hand. It would
definitely require review of all content, especially the human made
content, but could be worth the effort. I don't know of anything that
does this already, but would also be interested if someone else does.