Honeypots mailing list archives

honeypot related papers and talks at USENIX'05

From: Niels Provos <provos () citi umich edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:51:40 -0500

Hello everyone,

just wanted to let you know about some interesting topics at the
USENIX Technical conference this April:

- Dan Ragsdale is going to speak about the Cyberdefense Exercises of
  the military academies in the US.  Some of the academies have used
  honeypot technologies as part of their defense in the past. This
  should be a fun talk.

- The FREENIX track has a paper and talk about QEMU, an open source
  processor emulator that can be used to setup virtual honeypots. It
  runs natively on a variety of systems and also supports user mode
  emulation in Linux.

USENIX Technical is a good conference to meet like-minded people. I
certainly will be there and hope that we can have a BOF on honeypots
where we all talk about interesting honeypot work that we have done
recently.

Hope to see you there,
 Niels.

Ps: I included some information on the conference below:

** Just a few weeks away -- Register NOW **

Register NOW for USENIX'05: the Annual Technical Conference of the
Usenix Association at http://www.usenix.org/usenix05/progm.

Come to Anaheim this April 10-15 for top-notch tutorials and technical
sessions: this is the USENIX Association's 30th Anniversary, and we're
celebrating with the strongest lineup of training and technical sessions
ever:

*** Nearly 40 tutorials, 20 of which are new, featuring:
o  Rik Farrow leading a hands-on Linux Security Class
o  Geoff Halprin on the Basic Skill of Troubleshooting
o  Mark-Jason Dominus conducting a Perl Program Repair Shop
o  Heison Chak discoursing on VoIP Principles and Practice
o  Jacob Farmer on Next-Generation Storage Networking
        (See details at http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix05/training/)

*** Four concurrent tracks of Technical Sessions including Invited
Talks,
a Freenix (BSD/Linux) track, and a Guru track with your favorite
academics
and industry researchers on such timely topics as:
o  Spencer Shepler: NFSv4
o  Running Virtualized Native Drivers in User Mode Linux
o  Cyber Defense exercises between the five U.S. Service Academies
o  John Ousterhout: Faster Software Builds
o  IP Network extensions for accessing USB devices
o  Configuring hardware in a data center based on temperature
o  Eddie Kohler: DDoS Defense in Practice and Theory
o  A PC-based Open Source Voting Machine (and paper ballot!)
o  Surviving Internet Catastrophies
        (See details at http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix05/tech/)

*** Keynote by George Dyson, historian and author of Darwin Among the
Machines,
will speak about John von Neumann's use of early computers to tackle
previously
intractable problems.

*** Works-In-Progress Reports (WIPs) and Birds-of-a-Feather Sessions
(BoFs) round out a rich week overflowing with presentations,
information,
and collaboration.

*** Conference Reception celebrating the 30th Anniversary of USENIX!

---
WHAT:   USENIX '05 - Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the USENIX
Association
WHEN:   April 10-15, 2005
WHERE:  Anaheim, CA: Marriott Hotel
WHO:    Anyone interested in state-of-the-art computing issues
WHY:    To get to and stay on the leading edge of practical and
actionable research and tools
HOW:    http://www.usenix.org/usenix05/progm
---

Five or more people registering together get $100 off per person!

** Just a few weeks away -- Register NOW **