Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeynet Alliance Charter Question

From: Croad Christopher D Contr AFRL/IFOSS <Christopher.Croad () rl af mil>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:49:06 -0000

I read it like this...

There are two types of sniffing, active and passive.

Passive sniffing is when you just listen to data coming across the wire.  If
it hits your system, and you have done nothing "shifty" to make it hit your
system, then the sniffing is passive.  Passive to me simply means I hook in
the wire and listen.

If you are doing something to force or help the data to come to your system
( i.e. arp spoofing, mac flooding, system probing) then the sniffing is
active. You have coerced the data to arrive at you in some way.

Chris