Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: GenII Honeynet with NAT

From: "Stejerean, Cosmin" <cstejere () cti depaul edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:12:21 -0600

It depends on where your attacker will be located. If you will use an
attacker within your private network you will not have to worry about
the NAT router. However if you plan to use a computer to attack from the
outside you will need to enable port forwarding on the NAT router and
forward specific ports to certain machines. That might work since in
most cases the ports for Windows 2000 are different from the ports from
Red Hat.

However the reason your IT administrator wants you to use a NAT firewall
is likely because otherwise your honey pots will be exposed to attacks
from the wild. While that is great if you want to study real attacks it
can be a great risk if you do not configure things properly. I would
recommend that you start testing internally and once you feel
comfortable you can move to outside attacks if you can get permission
from the IT department.

Regards,

Cosmin Stejerean

cstejere () cs depaul edu