Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Sebek client (2.1.7) issues with Debian 3.1 (sarge)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:41:00 -0500

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:52:49 +0100, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino said:

3.- When trying to insert the new module I get a kernel-module
mismatch ("XXXX was compiled for kernel version 2.4.27-2  while this
kernel version is version 2.4.27-2-386". I just modified
sbk_install.sh to use 'insmod -f'. I expected this, however.

Be *very* careful doing this - it's a really good way to splat your
system in a hurry.  Unless you're *really* sure that none of the 'struct *'
you use changed size or members, you'll trash something.  And it's quite
possible for the *same* kernel to have different sizes for stuff (for instance,
building a UP or SMP version).

4.- When forcing the module installation it won't install:

"XXXX  unresolved symbol __write_lock_failed
XXXXX  unresolved symbol kernel_flag_cacheline
XXXXX  unresolved symbol __read_lock_failed"

You got lucky here.  A worse possibility is that it *found* the symbol, but
you have a type mysmatch (number of arguments, int/long long/short issues, etc),
which will result in the symbol being found, but things going pear-shaped soon
thereafter.....