Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeypot / Nessus help

From: Chmielarski TOM-ATC090 <Tom.Chmielarski () motorola com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:43:34 -0500

Hi Bob.
By posting in the honeypot list I assume you are mostly concerned with that part of your question. Otherwise the
focus-ids would be a better forum :) But, never the one to concede to the obvious I'll chime in on what others are
answering - IPS/IDS.

My advice is to not focus so much on the detection ability of the product. I know, that sounds silly. Seriously though,
what is important is that the product is _usable_ within your organization. How easy is the management of the
device(s)? How difficult will it be to monitor or connect to your existing monitoring structure? How stable is it? If
the product can detect every single exploit within the next five years but is unwieldy and prone to crashing then you
have wasted your money.  The IDS space is filled with products that have all kind of claims and benchmarks about how
well they detect the next bad thing.   The IDS engine is the most dynamic part of most of these products (go figure..)
if the framework around that engine is crap it's likely to stay that way.

"Ask not what the product can do for you, but what you will do with the product" :)

As far as the testing part of your question I'd suggest using the attack tool once and capturing that with a sniffer.
Use tcpreplay or similar so you see the exact same activity with every run. If you are testing the IPS part of it then
use a honeypot on VMWare so you can revert the OS to the same snapshot before every test.

- Tom Chmielarski
- My views are mine and do not reflect those of my employer