Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: (pacsec bonus) Re: VMWare Detection?

From: Croad Christopher D Contr AFRL/IFOSS <Christopher.Croad () rl af mil>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:19:37 -0000

 A little off the honeypot topic, but wouldn't the bigger problem with
VMWare detection be to those of us doing Malware analysis?  I almost
exclusively use a laptop system with multiple VMWare Guests running to
analyze a suspect piece of Malware.  I have found some workarounds to VMWare
detections (i.e the code looks for VMWare tools, so delete it...it looks for
Mac Addresses, so change them), but I don't know how to address the
detection given in this thread.

Is my nice, compact, portable (not to mention powerhouse) analysis
laptop/lab about to be replaced by desks full of actual computers to do
analysis? Ugh!

Chris