Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: (pacsec bonus) Re: VMWare Detection?

From: Mike Tremoulet <coffeemike () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:17:38 -0600

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:36:04 -0600, Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org> wrote:
Lots of great discussions and tools demonstrated on detecting the use
of VMware.  Some pondering, if I may.

- In reference to honeypots, is the detection of VMware a bad thing?
Okay, the attacker gains access and identifies the system is using
VMware.  Lots of legitimate organizations use VMware, the economics of
virtualization can be a big motivator.  In fact, this will potentially
grow.  So, I would contend that the detection of VMware does not
automatically mean honeypot.

I agree with the contention, but can we also separate the versions of
VMWare?  (Say, the desktop from the server editions of the product?)
I'm more likely to believe a company running their web server farm on
the server edition, not the desktop edition, of VMWare.

- If an attacker does detect VMware, and assume its a honeypot and
leaves the system, does this mean that VMware is  potentially more
secure for production systems?

If your assumption is true, then this holds.  That's a big if.  My
concern with VMware (or UML, or coLinux, or qemu, or Virtual PC, or
any other virtualization technology) is that it is ultimately a
program written by people.  Like any other software, that program will
have flaws.  So I could as easily (in my opinion) see an attacker
detecting VMware and launching a different set of attacks aimed at
controlling the physical host.  This may be an acceptable risk on a
honeypot, but to rely on this for a production system makes me uneasy.

- If attackers or automated threats do begin running automated
detection mechanisms for VMware, would it not then be possible to put
those very same signatures into legitimate systems, so threats now
avoid them?

See above.  You may avoid threats, but may invite a different set of
threats.  Admittedly might not be valid without the virtualization
software running, but still - you rely on the strength of your decoy
instead of more solid prevention/countermeasures.

-- Mike

--
just a Gnome of Zurich ... feeding tiny bits of information from all over...