Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: AW: Honey VS Vinegar

From: the rxmr <the.rxmr () gmail com>
Date: 2 Nov 2004 15:49:05 -0000

"but dont forget to check you hunnypot webserver logs for all those refers from google (thanks Johnny for google
hacking)...."

I have also tested the Google Hacking Database from the johnny.ihackstuff.com website and noticed that most of results
(usually text, no graphics no loading from original website) are also avaliable in the Google cache.  Therefore, by
using the info from the cache one could avoid an entry in the webserver's logs.

Thanks to all those that took the time to read my rather long post.  It wasn't quite finished, but since the question
was raised, I decided to go ahead and post it.  Anyway, it is interesting to read some of the tactics currently being
used by others.  With regard to the question that someone else asked of "how far shoud we go?", I think it is OK to
start off small and gradually work one's way through the different, more complex and time consuming methods.  Keep it
simple and don't make your efforts obvious.

The people we are trying to get a response from can sometimes tell if something is amiss.  They can also exhibit
self-control and may ignore such provocations therefore allowing them to pick their potential victims for their own
reasons.

When I first started running a honeypot, I became bored with it after a few months and began thinking of ways to draw
in more activity.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  If such methods are already being used, I understand the
reluctance in disclosing them and the results in a public forum. Good luck to you all!

I have been provoking attacks (usally in IRC) for years... when I
mentioned this in another security related list a few years ago i got
flamed so bad i still feel toasty... I have noticed (using a bit of
psycology from the aid of my wife who is a phycologist and closet geek
girl) that you can easily tell if you are going to get your basic 13 or
14 yr old script kiddie or someone a bit more skillful... but dont
forget to check you hunnypot webserver logs for all those refers from
google (thanks Johnny for google hacking)....

sorry if it was a rant... but it's my 2 cents worth...