Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: preparing Honeypot hard drives

From: Maximillian Dornseif <md () un bewaff net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:27:19 +0200

On 16.10.2004, at 20:24, Lefti wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a difference between running "fdisk c:" on a honeypot (booted from a boot floppy) in order to destroy all the partitions on the hard drive, and
running "dd bs=1000k < /dev/zero > /dev/sda" ??

No, when you are only want to destroy the partitions.

I'm try to prepare
my hard disk such that when it comes to doing forensics, I'm not picking up
data from old installations.

Than you really should use dd. To my knowledge several profilic honeypot operators where already bitten by previous OS installations when doing post mortem analysis. But use bs=1024 or some other power of 2 instead of 1000 and things will be much faster.

Regards

Max Dornseif

--
Maximillian Dornseif, Dipl. Jur., CISSP
Laboratory for Dependable Distributed Systems, RWTH Aachen University