Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Using several MAC addresses on a single network interface

From: Stefano Bizzarri <nexius () email it>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 23:29:59 +0100

Alexander Klimov wrote:

Hi, all.

I want one host to appear as several different ones down to Ethernet level. It
is very easy, e.g., under Linux (2.4.26) to make a single host represent several
IPs:

ifconfig eth0:1 additional-ip ...

unfortunately, it seems that hardware address of eth0 and eth0:1 can not be
changed independetly.

Basically, there are two major problems: answering ARP requests for
additional-ip with separate MAC and serving on eth0:1 with different MACs.

First of all I failed to insert new MAC into ARP:

# /sbin/arp -i eth0 -s 10.0.0.55 01:02:03:04:05:06 pub
# arp -n
Address     HWtype  HWaddress   Flags Mask    Iface
10.0.0.55   *       *           MP            eth0

and the host continue to anser to ARP's who-has 10.0.0.55 with MAC of eth0:1.

The second problem is that even if on the other host I insert new line into ARP
cache my first host does not want to serve, e.g., ping requests to that MAC
address even if I put interface into PROMISC mode (ifconfig reports that I done
this successfully). Note that tcpdump also shows that the host does receive
them.

Any ideas how to overcome these problems?

I don't think it's a problem... I think that is correct that an interface couldn't have mutch more than one MAC address. I think that you can simply resolve your problem using the linux module for vlan. You can find it here with all howto you need

http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~it605/resources/Local/HTML/www.candelatech.com/greear/vlan.html

good luck!