Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Kernel & VMware bridging - Whats the difference?

From: "Joshua Berry" <jberry () PENSON COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:28:07 -0500

Lately, I've been attempting to setup a GenII honeypot on my laptop
with >>vmware.

I do have a couple of questions that I can't quite work out though.

When I compiled my host o/s kernel I forgot to enable bridging and
TUN/TAP >>support,  which according to the UML linux paper I read is
required for >>the brctl package to work.  Now the things is,  because
bridging wasnt >>enabled in my kernel intially,  why did the vmware
guest o/s get an IP >>from my dhcp server and manage to sit happily on
my network without any >>problem?

You received an IP because you have network support enabled, this has
nothing to do with Bridging.  Bridging is for forwarding packets between
interfaces that don't have an IP address on them.  As long as you have
networking support and network device support compiled in the kernel you
will be able to have an IP address, whether assigned manually or from a
DHCP server.

I'm also curious as to why I couldnt just install the brctl package
and >>then have the product of vmnet0 placed into my iptables rules
accordingly?  >>Why doesnt vmnet0 show up as another network device when
I 'ifconfig -a'

Not sure about that.