Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: sebek server question

From: Edward Balas <ebalas () anml iu edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:48:47 -0500

Hey Kathy,

Ok so here is the rub.

The -f argument is used to tell sbk_extract to recover the sebek packets
from the specified pcap file. sbk_extract, then extracts the sebek information from the packet and sends a binary representation of that to STDOUT. , typically you pipe the output of sbk_extract to a processing utility such as sbk_ks_log.pl or
sbk_upload.pl.

It is an error that sbk_extract allows you to specify both an interface and a file to receive input on. As it currently stands independent of the order the arguments are presented, if the -f argument is used, sbk_extract will look to
read packets in from a file, ignoring the interface specification.

For Sebek, it is currently recommended that you use the raw packets in pcap format as the canonical raw data source. If you need to capture on one system and examine on another, then I would use tcpdump, snort or other sniffer with a filter capture the Sebek packets, then on the analysis system use the -f arg in sbk_extract
to process the pcap file.

Does that help?

Edward