Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeyd and exclusion

From: "Williams Jon" <WilliamsJonathan () JohnDeere com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:20:06 -0500

I'd figured that out, but the list gets a bit long as I want honeyd to
respond to everything except:

- 224.0.0.0/4 (multicast)
- 169.254.0.0/16 (MS link local stuff when client doesn't get DHCP addr)
- any packet sourced by an address that we don't own

I could theoretically do some large block thingie for the first two,
simply defining ranges that don't include those two networks, but I
don't see a way to not respond based on source address.

BTW, I finally figured out why my INPUT iptables filters weren't
working.  PCAP-based apps see the inbound packets before iptables does
(i.e. iptables sits higher up on the IP stack than PCAP).  That's the
same reason why the OUTPUT filters worked, the packets would go through
iptables before the PCAP layer on its way out from userland.

Thanks.

Jon