Honeypots mailing list archives

Honeypot / Nessus help

From: "Jeremy Hyland" <hylandj () u washington edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:29:19 -0700

Nessus has got to be the best network vulnerability scanner available, but
you need to remember it was never designed to be a stealth tool. Most of its
attacks and scans are really in your face - like smacking your server with a
baseball bat. Your IDS would have to be really, really bad to miss it.
However there are some IDS evasion features you can turn on:

http://www.nessus.org/doc/nids.html

I'd suggest some creative netcat, hping, and nmap work to determine how good
that IDS really is.

-Jeremy