Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: honeypot deployment standard

From: Albert Gonzalez <albertg () cerveau us>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:58:59 -0400

dcneting wrote:

Are there any heuristic rules or guidance than can be used to deploy
honeypots in large networks? Any documentation or methods on doing it?
Or just depending on the network admin's honeypot experience?
Im looking for honeypot deployment standard that can be used to help
network admins deploy honeypots(real or virtual) in large network
environments :)
I recommend using a solution that you have the most experience with. This way it makes it easier to minimize mistakes and or misconfigurations. If you are not the only administrator of that network, then might want to look at something that be easily deployed and the other admins won't be 'scared' of. I've seen honeynet projects in large networks shot down because there was only one real competent admin, the rest were too intimidated by the process to setup the honeypots, thus it never launched passed the research phase.

I personally haven't seen any documentation that tailors to large networks, although it shouldn't too much of daunting task to use documentation for a 'regular' size honeynet and convert that to fit your needs.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
Albert