Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot legal ramifications....

From: Pitts <Jonathan.Pitts () colorado edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 18:08:25 -0600

Regarding the privacy of hackers...IMO they waive their rights if they are
confronted with a banner stating ...authorized users only, all events are
monitored... This seems to be fair warning to anyone, although I am unaware of
any legal precedents.

best regards,
jon
Unfrozen Caveman Security Engineer

Quoting Ryan Trost <trostycp () hotmail com>:

 I have searched through the faq and read articles on several security
 websites....but I wanted to get some feedback from the people with hands-on
 experience with honeypots and honeynets.  Now, I am by no means a lawyer, so
 please do not quote bylaws and expect me to keep up.

From previous research, I was under the impression that honeypots impeded
 the hacker's privacy (so ridiculous!) and therefore was illegal to trick
 them into hacking into your computer.  However, it was legal if you were
 just tracking their moves for educating purposes (whitepapers and such) and
 not taking any aggressive legal action against the hacker.

 What are people's views on this subject??

 Have laws changed anything?

 Thanks in advance,
 Ryan Trost