Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Choice of OS for deploying Honeyd

From: Niels Provos <provos () citi umich edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:42:32 -0400

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 08:38:30AM -0700, Nick Smith wrote:
We are contemplating the deployment of one or more Honeyd servers and
are looking for advice on the choice of platform. Having read through
the archives it would seem that quite a few of you guys are running
Honeyd. I would really appreciate hearing your $0.02 worth regarding the
OS / hardware that you used and the reason that  you chose it.

Operating system choice is easy Linux or any *BSD should work just
fine.  In terms of hardware, this really depends on many virtual
honeypots you want to simulate and how much traffic you expect.  For a
/24, you probably want at least a 1GHz machine with plenty of memory.

Niels.