Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: how many threads

From: "Michael" <michael () insulin-pumpers org>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:31:51 -0800

Michael wrote:

Anyone care to guess how many threads you must hold on a winduhs box
 to crash the host??

One spam source IP address that's in my tarpits has almost 600
combined threads hung on the two tarpit servers, most for several
days.

I believe that (all other things being equal) WinNT can cope with
over 4000 threads. That should apply to Win2K and WinXP as well. But
if all of those threads are actually competing, rather than just
sleeping, the machine will dribble to a halt (not crash) due to
context-switching overheads.

Well.... I suspect it's less than that, but maybe it's not an NT
based system. A couple of hours after I wrote the original message
the suspect host vanished from the connection pool only to reappear
the next day, the thread count has again been climbing over the last
couple of days and now stands at about 450 between our two sites.

61.62.112.19 adsl-sta-kao-62-112-19.so-net.net.tw

If only there were 1,000 cannibals running out there :-)
... there'd be a lot less spam.

Michael