Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: A simple questions on redirecting

From: <gconnell () middlebury edu>
Date: 29 Mar 2004 06:32:22 -0000

I may be misunderstanding your question, but it seems to me that all you need is arpd.  arpd is a simple little program
that looks at arp requests sent out by computers to IP addresses.  If an IP is owned by a computer, it will respond to
the request with an "arp response" packet saying where the computer is.  If no computer responds within a certain time
limit (3 secs?), arpd sends its own response, redirecting traffic to your computer (ie: honeypot).

On the honeyd web page,
http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/honeyd/
go down under the Source Code heading, and you'll see a link for the source for arpd 0.2.  Compile and install that,
then check out the arpd man page, and you should be set.

    --Cleverduck

HI All,

 I am a beginner in using honeypot(honeyd) and I need
to work it as my final year project. But I have
encountered a big problems.
 Basically, I can deploy Honeyd but the question is
how to redirect "malicious" trafic or IP to my
honeypot?
 One method is to config Iptables but I don't who is
going to attack me.So, I don't know the IP. Does it
mean I need to combine snort and honeyd work together?
or something like "intelligence" firewall? Any ideas?
 Please help!:)

Fred

PS My configuration
Internet----Firewall----local network---honeypot