Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: [mailinglists] Commercial anti-honeypot tool [2]

From: "KeyFocus" <support () keyfocus net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:23:21 -0000

Wouldn't it be easy for a honeypot to detect "Hon.eypot Hun.ter"
simply by looking for SOCKS clients that make connection requests
back to their own IP on port 25? For these connections, the
honeypot could provide full SOCKS functionality.

Yes, this does works a treat in fooling "Hon.eypot Hun.ter". :-)
I did not mention it in case the author or a spammer came accross the
posting, also the reason for periods in "Hon.eypot Hun.ter".
I am sure they will work it out eventually when they come up against
honeypots that do this.
Our one will be ready in next week.

- Tom