Honeypots mailing list archives

Commercial anti-honeypot tool

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () pt-net net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:38:14 -0800

Hi all,

By way of a colleague, I just received word of a tool intended to identify mail relay honeypots of the sort that some folks are deploying to detect and harass spammers. I think this is a first: a commercial anti-honeypot tool.

You can learn more about the tool at: <http://www.send-safe.com/honeypot-hunter.php>. However, please be aware that authors of spam tools are apt to include malware with each download, so you should download and execute this software only in a safe, closed environment. Moreover, if you choose to access the Send-Safe web site, I suggest that you consider using an impersonal IP address, rather than one somehow tied to your identity. In this context, anonymity is your friend <g>.

Cheers,

Bill McCarty